At first glance, a stationery store seems to be a simple and understandable business that does not require special knowledge and skills from a novice entrepreneur. However, the stationery market is becoming more complex, transforming, posing large-scale tasks and challenges for market leaders.
It is important to understand the specifics of a retail store, to take into account current trends. A business plan will help you prepare and avoid unexpected expenses.
Business pros and cons
- Retailing office supplies is a seasonal business;
- High competition, including among non-core companies;
- The need to maintain a wide range of stationery, the complexity of accounting;
- Buyer preferences are constantly changing;
- The market is gradually recovering after the lockdown.
- Stable demand for office supplies;
- Different business formats, from a vending machine to a separate store;
- Domestic and foreign suppliers are able to satisfy any need of the customer;
- Wide target audience (children, schoolchildren, students, businesses, employees of organizations, etc.);
- Opportunity to offer related products and services during low season.
Stationery Store Step by Step Business Plan
- Analysis of competitors and features of the stationery business. Determining the optimal format and concept. Preparation of a detailed cost plan and profitability forecast.
- Registration of a company, opening a current account.
- Selection of premises and coordination with SES, Rospotrebnadzor, Fire Service.
- Search for suppliers of stationery, selection of working conditions, compilation of an assortment matrix, formation of optimal product balances.
- Preparation of a design project for a store, search for equipment suppliers.
- Hiring and training employees.
- Development of a marketing strategy, creation of a website, promotional products, announcing the opening of a new store.
- Preparing the store for opening, displaying goods, installing software.
Demand and competition analysis
The stationery business is highly competitive. We recommend that you study the market and its features at the planning stage in order to implement a successful, profitable business. We note a number of trends that we recommend considering when preparing a business plan:
- The regional market is getting bigger. Wholesale companies are developing the retail direction, as a result, small and medium-sized firms are leaving;
- The popularity of marketplaces is growing: ozon, wildberries, bery. The sites offer a wide range of stationery products and this trend will continue;
- The mass market format is developing, it is convenient to buy various goods in one place. The stationery can also be bought at a profit in the Pyaterochka, Perekrestok, Fix Price and other non-core stores;
- The requirements of customers are growing, it is not so much the brand that is important, but the design and functionality. It is necessary to look for interesting products, take into account preferences, surprise with new products;
- Business diversification contributes to its efficiency. Stationery stores increase sales volumes due to new product groups: household chemicals, households. inventory, accessories for office equipment. They offer printing services, production of promotional products, photo services, delivery of products, disinfectants and drinking water to offices.
- The indicators of success were the presence of an online store and a high-quality website. Delivery is important.
Taking into account the current trends in the stationery business, it is optimal to work in the middle price segment, diversify the business, choose 1-2 key suppliers. Provide the entire product line of several brands, thus respond flexibly to customer needs, offer new products in a timely manner, enjoy promotions and favorable cooperation conditions.
We decide on the location and premises for the store
- for a retail stationery store, high targeted traffic is important (rental near schools, educational institutions, office centers);
- accessibility to public transport stops;
- locations can be located in the city center, in the business part, in busy residential areas, in shopping centers.
Room area 50 – 100 sq. m. allows you to present a wide range of products, diversify product groups, correctly display goods, and conveniently zone the premises.
It is profitable to rent premises that do not require major repairs. Fix the cost of lease payments and the conditions for the increase in the future.
! On average, renting a stationery store will be 60,000-80,000 rubles.
- Form of ownership:
LLC – if you plan to scale your business or attract partners;
IP – if the task is to simplify the registration procedure.
- Taxation system:
USN – 15% of profits (beneficial if expenses exceed 60%) or 6% of income;
Patent – no reporting required (room area, number of employees, revenue should not exceed those established by law);
DOS – it is profitable to work with VAT, participate in tenders.
47.62 – for retail;
46.49 – for wholesale.
- Register a cash register if the organization uses the simplified tax system.
- Obtain permits from SES, Rospotrebnadzor, Fire Inspectorate.
Procurement and installation of furniture and equipment
Equipment for a stationery store should rationally occupy free space, be modern, functional, durable.
Equipment cost is affected by:
- materials (MDF, chipboard, solid wood, aluminum structures, etc.);
- quality of components and accessories;
- the presence of mirrors, the use of decorative elements, etc.
- Aluminum structures are in demand, they are easy to transport, operate, change configuration.
To equip the store choose:
- equipment for the checkout area;
- island, wall racks;
- glazed, open, rotating showcases;
- racks, panels;
- equipment for storage and utility rooms;
- software for automating the accounting of goods;
- cash desk, acquiring;
! To equip a stationery store 50-100 sq. m. the cost of equipment will be about 350,000-650,000 rubles.
Additional costs include delivery of equipment, assembly (about 10% of the cost), creation of an individual design project.
We define the assortment and suppliers
! Commodity filling for stationery store 50-100 sq. m. is necessary in the amount of 800,000 -1,200,000 rubles.
You can purchase products from the following market participants: manufacturers, federal suppliers and dealers, regional wholesale companies.
Major market players: Komus, FARM, Office Premier, Samson, Relief Center and other organizations.
Suppliers help to form an assortment matrix, taking into account the concept of business, the features of the store. They offer various forms of cooperation, including marketing support, staff training, convenient logistics and an optimal system of mutual settlements.
Product groups are formed taking into account the needs of target customers:
- paper products for school and office (notebooks, albums, forms);
- goods for writing and drawing (pencils, pens, felt-tip pens);
- goods for study (pencil cases, backpacks, covers, study stationery);
- office supplies (desk sets, stapler, hole punch);
- goods for storage and archiving;
- business accessories (card holder, diary);
- goods for creativity and hobbies (paints, brushes, plasticine);
- goods for presentations (projection equipment, accessories, badges).
Additional products: souvenirs, promotional items, household items, accessories for office equipment and other products.
Major providers provide additional features:
- co-financing of advertising events;
- sales staff training;
- discounts and promotions;
- convenient logistics;
- joint site;
- support in participation in tenders.
Therefore, it is important to approach the choice of a supplier responsibly.
For a store 50 – 100 sq. m . will need to hire:
- 3 – 4 seller-cashier;
- accountant for tax and management reporting;
- cleanliness officer;
- advertising and promotion specialist.
As necessary, taking into account the development of the company, movers, a programmer, a delivery service employee, an employee in an online store are involved.
! The payroll fund is 85,000 – 100,000 rubles, depending on the salary in the region.
How much to invest at the start
- Registration of a business, opening of a current account, installation of acquiring 60,000 – 100,000 rubles
- Rent of premises 60,000 – 80,000 rubles.
- Purchase of goods 800,000 – 1,200,000 rubles.
- Purchase of equipment 350,000 – 650,000 rubles.
- Advertising campaign for the opening of a store 40,000 – 60,000 rubles.
- Salary 85,000 – 100,000 rubles.
To open a stationery store 50 – 100 sq. m. 1,395,000 – 2,190,000 rubles are needed, excluding repairs. The amount is approximate and depends on many factors, the region where the business is present, the concept, the conditions of work with suppliers of goods and equipment. At the planning stage, it is important to work out the financial plan in detail, to lay down contingencies in the amount of at least 10% of the initial project cost.
- Replenishment of commodity balances, taking into account delivery;
- Discounts, promotions, sale of seasonal goods;
- Taxes and deductions;
- Rent including utility bills;
- Advertising, marketing;
- Mobile communications, Internet costs, website maintenance, current account; acquiring, etc.
- Household and administrative expenses;
- Other expenses.
Approximate calculation of income for a stationery store.
The average monthly revenue is 735,000 rubles . Based on the number of buyers per day 70 people and the average bill of 350 rubles.
The cost of production is 420,500 rubles. On average, the markup in the segment is average 30% -120%, the calculation takes into account the weighted average markup of 75%.
- Taxes and deductions under the simplified tax system (6%) = 52,000 rubles.
- Rent = 80,000 rubles.
- Salary = 100,000 rubles.
- Advertising = 20,000 rubles.
- Other expenses = 15,000 rubles.
Net profit will be 47,500 rubles .
The profitability of the stationery business is 6.5% for a specific example.
The calculation did not take into account discounts and promotions, seasonal revenue fluctuations. Traditionally, sales peak in August, September (products for the school), December (office products). Small wholesale and office goods are the least affected by seasonality.
To increase the profitability of the stationery store, we recommend:
- Increase the number of customers through a competent advertising strategy, diversification of goods (services), development of delivery, online store.
- Work on increasing the average bill, including through the optimal assortment, careful selection of suppliers, training sales skills for staff.
- Optimize costs. For example, part of the functions is taken over by the owner, non-core personnel work on outsourcing. Joint promotions with product suppliers can reduce the advertising budget.
Stationery Store Risks
- seasonality is not taken into account;
- wrong location;
- high competition, including among non-core companies.
- the range of products does not meet the needs of customers;
- high volume of illiquid goods, lack of discounts, promotions;
- upward revision of lease payments.
This is an ideal platform for business communications with market leaders. The conference program includes practical cases, thematic forums. Recommended to entrepreneurs interested in opening a stationery store.