There is an acute shortage of quality sausages on the Russian food market . This is only partly because the manufacturer is unable to provide “quality”, but rather because it is very difficult for the manufacturer to sell “quality” at a cost-effective price.
In this article, we will try to give basic information on creating your own sausage production business, and tips that will help this business not go to the bottom immediately.
Business pros and cons
First of all, you need to understand the strengths and weaknesses of this area in order to understand where it is “empty” and where it is “dense”.
The main advantages include:
- Stable demand for sausage products
- The ability to produce a wide range of sausage products on one equipment;
- Simplicity of the business model
- a huge number of recipes in different price segments
The disadvantages in the production of sausages are as follows:
- The product is perishable
- Supervisory authorities take a lot of time
- Large financial investments for the organization of production and large working capital (if we are talking about opening a large enterprise for the production of sausages)
Sausage production technology
Depending on what kind of sausage we decide to produce, the technology will be slightly different, but there are points that are relevant for any recipe :
- preparation of raw materials (acceptance, cleaning, carcass deboning, trimming, sorting by grade and fat content)
- Preparation of minced meat: grinding meat, salting, ripening in the refrigerator is an important stage in the production of sausages, it is necessary to
add salt and spices to preserve the color, aroma and stickiness of meat
- shaping loaves (filling natural or artificial casings with finished
- minced meat in the form of an emulsion and knitting loaves with twine)
- sediment (at a temperature of 0 to – 4ºС, the loaves are aged for 2 hours);
- heat treatment of sausage preparations (roasting for 1-2 hours at 80-100ºС; cooking from 40 minutes to three hours at a temperature of 70-80ºС)
- cooling of finished products in freezers
- drying – completes the technological process of sausage production. Here it is important to monitor the humidity of the air. After drying, the products are ready for packaging, labeling and sale.
Finished product control is a mandatory step in the production of sausages. It guarantees a quality product at the output.
Step-by-step plan for opening a mini sausage shop
First you need to decide on the volume of investments , as well as the volume and range of products that the workshop will produce. This will help to correctly calculate resources so that production is not in a state of lack of money and the risk of going bankrupt at any time.
These are the steps that will need to be minted so that everything works like a Swiss watch:
- analysis of demand and competition;
- search for sales markets and preparation of contracts for sale;
- assortment development;
- paperwork and obtaining permits;
- search for suitable premises for the production workshop;
- selection of working personnel, engineering staff, as well as a technologist;
- purchase of equipment and necessary tools;
- conclusion of contracts for the supply of raw materials;
- Calculation of logistics and marketing processes;
- product quality control
Search for raw material suppliers
To produce high-quality products, you will need certified raw materialsthat meet all standards. Pork, beef, chicken, lamb, horse meat are mainly used for the production of sausages.
A good option would be to conclude agreements with local farms that sell meat in bulk, whole carcasses. It is worth considering the option of organizing a sausage shop next to farms to save on logistics.
Search and analysis of sales markets
Before starting production, it is necessary to determine the sales market and understand where the finished sausages will be sold. Manufactured products must be affordable and meet the quality to maintain a certain level of demand. It makes sense to study the range of products, the range of prices in the purchase and the competition of local sausage production workshops.
It is also important to analyze the prices for sausage in large chain stores.
Market analysis is necessary to develop and define your own range of products. Also, the analysis will help determine the scale of production at the start.
We select a room for a sausage shop
Even a small workshop requires a sufficiently spacious room, not combined with a residential or any other building. This is a very important point. The room should be located in an area free from smoke, dust, unpleasant odors. It is worth considering options on the outskirts of the city , as well as buildings in nearby villages.
The premises of the sausage shop must be equipped with all engineering communications systems – water supply, sewerage, electricity, heating and ventilation.
Saving on workspace is definitely not worth it. After all, a workshop for the production of sausages must meet all sanitary standards and requirements and have:
- refrigerators and refrigeration units for the storage of raw materials
- room for defrosting raw materials
- meat pretreatment room
- cooling chambers for minced meat and finished products
- production shop
- storage room for spices and condiments
- heat treatment shop
- washing room for cleaning equipment and tools
- a shower room, a bathroom, a dressing room, a utility room for cleaning equipment are also needed)
Some rooms can be combined with each other. If this is necessary, when planning, all deviations must be coordinated with the sanitary and epidemiological station.
Mini sausage shop equipment
Depending on the planned assortment and production volumes, the equipment will be somewhat different. But in any case, the workshop must have the following items of equipment :
- freezers for industrial raw materials
- galvanized tables for deboning carcasses and butchering meat
- industrial electric meat grinder
- electric meat mixer
- sausage cutter for the production of dumplings and pâtés
- industrial syringe with nozzles necessary for production, for filling loaves
- thermal chamber
- freezer for finished products
- smoking equipment, (if it is planned to produce smoked products)
trays and wheelbarrows for minced meat
- frames for hanging shaped sausage sticks
All equipment must be certified and approved for use in the food industry .
When purchasing equipment, you need to focus on its characteristics. Automation has a significant impact on productivity. Domestic devices are much cheaper than imported ones, but the quality of their workmanship leaves much to be desired. When acquiring expensive equipment, it would be wise to consider several options: buying new or used, renting or leasing .
When opening a workshop for the production of sausages, it is necessary to have a minimum list of equipment. An important role is played by means of sanitizing containers and surfaces. Waste containers, sterilization cabinets, and showers for workers are also needed.
Sanitary requirements say that countertops must be made of stainless steel, galvanized barrels ; the requirements for the walls in the premises of the sausage shop, the floor, the ceiling, and the drainage of sewage are also spelled out there.
Hygienic maintenance of equipment is the main factor in the efficiency of production and maintaining the quality of finished sausages.
Recruitment is a difficult process that requires a responsible approach of patience and insight. The success of the entire sausage production depends on the competence and professionalism of the workforce .
The staff is recruited before the launch of the mini-workshop. In addition to the head of the workshop, you need:
- Technologist (controls compliance with manufacturing specifications in accordance with the recipe, as well as the quality of finished sausages)
- Boner (cuts carcasses, deboning and preparing meat)
- Forwarding driver (delivers raw materials and finished products)
- Accountant (accounting, financial and tax reporting)
- Purchasing and sales manager (works with suppliers of raw materials, looking for markets for finished products). These functions can initially be performed by the head.
- Ancillary Workers (Callused Gears of Production)
More correctly, at the beginning of the launch of sausage production, work on your own, organize and establish the entire technological process, personally controlling the quality of work . When everything is debugged, you can hire a competent manager.
Without fail, the employees of the workshop must have a sanitary book, which is an admission to work. Before starting work, the employee must familiarize himself with the job description, be instructed in labor protection and fire safety.
Registration of necessary documents and permits
Before starting work, it is necessary to register as a business entity with the tax office. To do this, you need to decide on the organizational and legal form of doing business. Next you need:
- Arrange a lease for a production facility
- Get permission from the fire inspector
- Install the necessary equipment, make a trial run
- Draw up technological maps for the entire range of sausage products (technologist)
- Find suppliers of raw materials, release a trial batch of products
- Issue permits at the SES and the veterinary service
- Obtain quality certificates for products
- Recruit and train staff
According to Russian legislation, all food products must be labeled and have a certificate of conformity before being sold . To get it, you need to provide the following documents:
- application completed in the approved form
- founding documents
- lease agreement or document on the ownership of the production premises
- sanitary passport of the premises
- list of products certified for production
- regulatory and technological documentation for products
- documents and certificates that confirm the quality of raw materials and packaging.
- expert opinion
- samples of certified products
- certification agreement
This is a rather lengthy process and should be patient. Without certification of products, the work of the sausage production shop is impossible.
The main danger in the production of sausages is negligence in compliance with sanitary standards . There are also risks in the procurement of raw materials. In pursuit of a low price, you can purchase low-quality raw materials, and as a result, produce a low-quality product. Subsequently, this will either hit your pocket hard or hit your reputation.
But in general, with a rigorous analysis and meticulous organization of the production process, the business will grow, expand and generate income for its owner, providing customers with high-quality and tasty sausages.